women torah shebal peh

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 matan

matan

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

I like your answer but from my experience, girls are not pushed directly into marrying kollel guys. They are told that the"first rate" guys are learning in kollel and the "second rate" boys are the ones working. The girls then make their "own" decision.

#22 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

I like your answer but from my experience, girls are not pushed directly into marrying kollel guys. They are told that the"first rate" guys are learning in kollel and the "second rate" boys are the ones working. The girls then make their "own" decision.

I am still not understanding.

If supporting a husband in learning is the greatest Zechus in the world that a girl can have - and it is - and if a Talmid Chacham is the world's greatest treasure - and it is - then why wouldn't marrying a Kollel guy simply be a wise choice? Isn't school there to teach values? And if the students pursue the values they are taught ... does that mean they are not making a decision? If in school they teach you that certain professions are more lucrative than others, does it mean a person who chooses the lucrative profession is not making an independent choice?

If you are contesting the fact that supporting a full-time Torah learner is the most lucrative thing in the world spiritually, either for a wife or a philanthropist, then say so, but if you are conceding that, then why would it be anything other than simply a wise choice for people - girls, boys, men or women - to pursue the most spiritually lucrative option available to them?

#23 shaya

shaya

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

(well, 612 1/2 to be exact - I am rounding. see the link).

So too our Bnos Yisroel know very well what learning accomplishes.

if im allowed to correct the rabbi, greater than all (especially what the link says ) is ידיעת התורה.

to elaborate, in that link the tanya says that ידיעת התורה is greater than learning itself, thats why its 612.5 mitzvohs.
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning.

#24 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

if im allowed to correct the rabbi, greater than all (especially what the link says ) is ידיעת התורה.

to elaborate, in that link the tanya says that ידיעת התורה is greater than learning itself, thats why its 612.5 mitzvohs.

Well, yes, but look at the Tanya closely.

He says: וזאת מעלה יתרה גדולה ונפלאה לאין קץ אשר במצות ידיעת התורה והשגתה על כל המצות מעשיות ואפי' על מצות התלויות בדבור ואפי' על מצות תלמוד תורה שבדבור

He says the Mitzvah of Yedias HaTorah is what has the Kedusha, more than the Mitzvah of speaking Torah. This is because the Tanya writes in his Shulchan Aruch that the Mitzvah of Talmud Torah is divided into two parts: The act of learning is one, and the Yedias HaTorah is another.

So the Mitzvah of Talmud Torah has two halves, one of which carries the Kedusha I mentioned. But both are part of the Mitzvah.

That's why I referred to it as 612 1/2 Mitzvos. I was merely echoing the Tanya's words that the Mitzvah of Yedias HaTorah is what has all that Kedusha.

#25 TovaLeahGlass

TovaLeahGlass

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I was wondering also about why in so many Bais yaacov seminaries girls are pushed to look up things in gemara or ein yaacov to write reports that would probably fall under the topic of not practical Halacha?

#26 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

I was wondering also about why in so many Bais yaacov seminaries girls are pushed to look up things in gemara or ein yaacov to write reports that would probably fall under the topic of not practical Halacha?

Hopefully it's Hashkafa, which is the same as Halacha. Ein Yaakov basically is.

But Bais Yaakovs sometimes push the envelope when it comes to learning beyond what they should. (Rav Shach ZTL complains about this in his letters.) If you have a question about something you're assigned, you should feel free to ask your school's rabbi or the principal.

#27 FS613

FS613

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

L'Chvod Rabbi Shapiro, Shlita:

If a Jew works full-time and and sets aside times during the day for learning Torah;

1) Can the worker get a share in the Torah learning of a Talmid Chochom, if the worker gives money to support the Talmid Chochom?

2) Can the support come from the worker's Maaser money?

3) Does the worker need a formal Jewish contract with the Talmid Chochom in order to have a share in the Talmid Chochom's Torah learning?

Thank you.

#28 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) No

#29 FS613

FS613

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

If a woman is teaching a class of women about Halochos that are relevant to them, e.g. Tznius;

is the teacher allowed to quote the source from the Torah (whether She'Bichsav, or She'B'Al'Peh, e.g. Gimara), from where Chazal derive a particular Halacha

(e.g. the reason that a married woman covers her hair)

as long as the teacher simply quotes the Posuk, and she doesn't have a Shakla V'Tarya discussion with the class about the particular source?

Thank you.

#30 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

If a woman is teaching a class of women about Halochos that are relevant to them, e.g. Tznius;

1- is the teacher allowed to quote the source from the Torah (whether She'Bichsav, or She'B'Al'Peh, e.g. Gimara), from where Chazal derive a particular Halacha

(e.g. the reason that a married woman covers her hair)

2 - as long as the teacher simply quotes the Posuk, and she doesn't have a Shakla V'Tarya discussion with the class about the particular source?

Thank you.

Yes.