Rain outside E"Y

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GotEmunah?

GotEmunah?

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

I don't think this is the right spot for this, but I didn't know where else to put it so feel free to move it. :)

It (I don't know where - maybe Chazal) that rain is a Bracha. I totally understand that in E"Y - we daven for it - but is that also in the US where it can sometimes rain a TON? In E"Y, I'd feel bad saying "Uch, its raining!" Should that be the same reaction in the US (or anywhere else)?

Thank you!

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Rain is a Bracha everywhere. Sometimes the Bracha comes more often and sometimes it is easier to attain. But it is always a Bracha.

#3 GotEmunah?

GotEmunah?

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

Is it a Bracha even if it causes great harm (ex, Hurricane Irene)
Does the same apply to snow?

#4 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Is it a Bracha even if it causes great harm (ex, Hurricane Irene)
Does the same apply to snow?

Something can be a Bracha for one person but not a Bracha for another. Like Chazal say regarding rain, the travelers pray that it should not rain but we who need rain pray that the travelers' prayers should not be answered.

Something can be a Bracha for one person and the opposite for another; a Bracha and the opposite at the same time.

I have said that this is why we pray during Shabbos Mevorchim: לברכה ולא לקללה וכו - if we pray for a month of Bracha is it not redundant then to also pray for a month of not Klallah? if a month is blessed, certainly it is not cursed? The answer is, something can be a Bracha and a Klallah at the same time - like rain, which is detrimental to travelers for example. So we ask Hashem that the month should have Bracha, but also the Bracha should not have any down side to it for anyone else. לברכה ולא לקללה (the same for the other seeming redundancies in that Tefilah).

Also, this may be the meaning of our prayer in SIm Shalom - שים שלום וכו' כולנו כאחד The phrase kulanu k'echad means all of us at once. Why do we need to say "at once"? The answer is, sometimes a Bracha for one person is painful for another person. Like the rain, or regarding Shiduchim for example, שמא יקדמנו אח. Someone's good Hashgacha may need to cost another person his good Hashgacha. So we ask Hashem to give all of us Sholom and Bracha together at once. Meaning, my Sholom and Bracha should also be Sholom and Bracha for everyone else at the same time.

#5 GotEmunah?

GotEmunah?

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Wow. Thank you for the explanation.