A conversation with Hashem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 much2learn

much2learn

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

(wish I could take credit, but I read it somewhere)

Me (in a tizzy) : Hashem, can I ask you something?

HASHEM: Sure.

Me: Promise you won't get mad?

HASHEM: I promise.

Me (frustrated): Why did you let so much stuff happen to me today?

HASHEM: What do you mean?

Me: Well I woke up late,

HASHEM: Yes

Me: My car took forever to start,

HASHEM: Okay....

Me (growling): At lunch, they made my sandwich wrong and I had to wait

HASHEM: Hmmmm..

Me: On the way home, my phone went dead, just as I picked up a call

HASHEM: All right

Me (loudly): And to top it all off, when I got home, I just wanted to soak my feet in my foot massager and relax, but it wouldn't work. Nothing went right today! Why did you do that?

HASHEM: Well let me see..... the death angel was at your bed this morning and I had to send one of the other angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that.

Me (humbled): Oh...

HASHEM: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that might have hit you if you were on the road

Me (ashamed): ............

HASHEM: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick and I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work

Me (embarrassed): Oh.....

HASHEM: Your phone went dead because the person that was calling was going to give a false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered

Me (softly): I see Hashem

HASHEM: Oh and that foot massager, it had a short that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm sorry Hashem.

HASHEM: Don't be sorry, just learn to trust me.........in all things, the good and the bad

Me: I WILL trust you Hashem

HASHEM: And don't doubt that my plan for your day is always better than your plan

Me: I won't Hashem. And let me just tell you Hashem, thank you for everything today.

HASHEM: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your Hashem and I love looking after my children.

#2 flybird

flybird

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

wow so powerful

#3 ilavHashem

ilavHashem

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

super cool!!!

#4 danceInTheRain

danceInTheRain

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 randomhouse

randomhouse

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

wow this teaches me to think that everything is for the best and just to trust hashem with everything he does!!!!!!!! :D

#6 ilavHashem

ilavHashem

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

s/thng i just heard 2day tht connects 2 this (hashgacha pratis!!!! ....just sayin....)

scenario one: a person is crossing the street, just when 2 cars seem to come out of nowhere n crash into eachother just barely missing him, he thanks Hashem like crazy cus he sees what a miracle it was tht he was saved....

Scenario two: a person crosses the street, nothing too interesting happens, and he continues walking........

Both scenarios are really the same! in both the man crosses the street and lives!
in one, Hashem decided to reveal to the person Himself in a a nes galuy
in the other, the person crosses the street without a thought becuase he doesn't think of the amazing nes it is that at that very moment Hashem is willing him into existance n thts y he's alive

just because we don't see Him, doesn't mean He's not there! He's always watching over us!!!

#7 Punims

Punims

• Moderators
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Another great thought to have -- on that topic of the person crossing the street. Think about how old you are - that means that Hashem has been watching over you for that amount of years. Look how many times you were worried and everything turned out okay. Do you really think Hashem would drop you NOW???? He's always shown up before and if He did it before, He will continue to be there for you - ALWAYS.

#8 much2learn

much2learn

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm so glad you guys like this!!!

Punims and Ilavhashem, you're both so right... really puts things into perspective.

#9 dojoyo

dojoyo

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

this is so beautiful esp. b/c a lot of times we really dont see why things happen to us! so this just shows one time where a person asked HaShem why they had a bad day and even for the small things- there was a reason although we may not see it

#10 Alone

Alone

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Wow thanks I sent this to a bunch of people. Frealky story that shows Hashem sends us pretty straight messages sometimes. I was crossing the street with someone and we didnt realize a car was coming and the car hit her from the side but not me, even though I was standing right next to her. She is ok but she fractured her foot. I walked out from that and was like wow sometimes Hashem can send pretty obvious messages.

#11 SmileySimcha123

SmileySimcha123

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Wow. That explains a lot in my life.

#12 ilavHashem

ilavHashem

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

ddnt write this...saw it on another site abt the same article.... wat do u guys thnk?

Frankly, I don't like this post very much.
When we say that Hashem does what is best for us, we don't mean that the plane was going to crash so Hashem made us miss it, or anything like these examples.
In fact, assuming this is the answer, directly contradicts the notion that Hashem is omnipotent and does only the best. Because, why couldn't Hashem make you not miss the flight, and also make the plane not crash? The answer must be that it was specifically good for you to feel the pain of missing the flight.
The proper hashkafa is that Hashem does what is best for us, and that if we are in pain, it means the pain itself was the best for us.

#13 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

ddnt write this...saw it on another site abt the same article.... wat do u guys thnk?

Frankly, I don't like this post very much.
When we say that Hashem does what is best for us, we don't mean that the plane was going to crash so Hashem made us miss it, or anything like these examples.
In fact, assuming this is the answer, directly contradicts the notion that Hashem is omnipotent and does only the best. Because, why couldn't Hashem make you not miss the flight, and also make the plane not crash? The answer must be that it was specifically good for you to feel the pain of missing the flight.
The proper hashkafa is that Hashem does what is best for us, and that if we are in pain, it means the pain itself was the best for us.

What you wrote (or whoever wrote it) was fine. This questioner's problem is not a problem. He or she is not saying anything that challenges what you said.

If Hashem wants to let the plane fly safely He can; if He wants it to crash, He can do that too. But if something happens against your will that seems to be to you detriment, the proper Hashkafa is that it is not to your detriment, because כל דעבדין מן שמיא לטב. When Nochum Ish Gam Zu's last lamp went out and he was in the dark, he found out it was for his benefit because the coming marauders were therefore unable to notice his presence. Same thing with the plane. Something that seems undesirable happens, but it really is for your benefit.

As far as pain being good for us, yes, of course if Hashem inflicts pain it is for our benefit. But first, that does not contradict any of the above, and also, if a person has the proper Hashkafa, he will accept the pain with Ahava, the way you accept the pain of the doctor re-locating a dislocated shoulder for example. The pain was necessary, but it is received with an altogether different attitude than pain that accompanies an undesirable experience.

A Chasid once asked the Noam Elimelech to teach him how to accept suffering with love. The Noam Elimelech told him to go to the Rebbe Reb Zushe, who is an expert in that area. So he traveled to the Reb Zuche and when he arrived he found a sickly elderly man living in a ramshackle hut in abject poverty, clearly in tremendous pain. When Reb Zushe asked him why he came, he said "The Rebbe Reb Mailach told me you can teach me how one accepts suffering with love."

Reb Zushe answered him, "I am afraid you were sent to the wrong person. I would love to teach you how to accept suffering with love, but I wouldn't know ow to do that, since I have never experienced suffering."

it is definitely correct that when a person suffers he should know that the pain comes from Hashem. But it is a greater level to understand that the pain is not suffering.

In any case, it is incorrect to say that it is implying an imperfection in Hashem to say that He prevented you from boarding a plane that was destined to crash. Nobody is saying Hashem cannot stop that plane from crashing; merely that He did not want to stop it from crashing.

And while it is true that each and every day Hashem proactively protects us no less than when we so improbably did not board that plane, still, when Hashem openly shows us that He is protecting us, such as in a case where the plans you were going to board crashed, that is a gift from Hashem that is meant for us to internalize and feel, in a sensory manner, that which we previously knew only on an intellectual level - that Hashem si watching over us.

What we know is called Chachma; what we feel and sense is called Daas. Daas is a higher level than Chachma. And when Hashem takes something we know with Chachma and makes it into Daas for us, it is a gift from Him that we are supposed to appreciate, internalize, and cherish.

So if that plane that you wanted to board crashes, that fact that Hashem watches over you, just became not merely an intellectually known fact, but a sensory and emotionally felt fact. The second is a higher level of knowledge. That is a gift from Hashem that we are expected to cherish, and to use in our Tefilos when we thank Him for giving us life.

PS - Please do not post this on other sites. Thanks.