chinuch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 achdus

achdus

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

i listen a lot to your shiurim on parenting, im looking for good advice for chinuch for younger children, what entertainment is good and what is not, for example seseme street you claim not to be good, there is not a lot to give them in the jewish genre (so i think) can you please recommend something for me to let my kids have entertainments with.

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

Anything that is (a) free of anti-Torah content and (b.) does not involve entertainment-style education that trains young minds not to work when learning. Even non-Jewish material will do. I would recommend, like Rav Avigdor Miller did many years ago, super-hero comics, where the good guys always beat the bad ones, except that nowadays they're full of Pritzus and gory violence. So try something like Owly, or some Disney stuff (the ones without romance). Of course, if you can stick to Jewish material, all the better.

#3 taon

taon

• Moderators
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

It's probably possible to find old comic books like Rav Miller was talking about (just dont get one that is till being punished, they'll jsut want the newer ones).
What about Uncle Moishy videos? It's videos, which promote non-thinking, but that's just dressing to the music.

#4 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

It's probably possible to find old comic books like Rav Miller was talking about (just dont get one that is till being punished, they'll jsut want the newer ones).
What about Uncle Moishy videos? It's videos, which promote non-thinking, but that's just dressing to the music.

It's better than Pritzus and violence.