Kippa and Jury Trial

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JewishAttorney

JewishAttorney

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I have never had a jury trial yet, and I wear a yarmolke in court before judges otherwise. However, I'm wondering if there is a heter for a jury trial, since having 6 (or 12) strangers, at least one of whom may be prejudiced toward (observant) Jews can instantly destroy my case before it begins. Thanks.

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Sorry but I do not see a Heter to go bareheaded. You can get a toupee, though (I am serious).

#3 mamash

mamash

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Attorney - I'm a lawyer too, and I used to practice criminal defense. Although I've never tried a case before a jury, I have done a few bench trials while wearing a yarmulka. Assuming you're not a public defender, your client hired you knowing full well that you wear a yarmulka. If so, why change if your client is happy? Also, you can use voir dire to weed out any potential anti Semites. Ask the jury straight up if they have a problem with your yarmulka, and if they do, strike em for cause. Hatzlacha.

#4 JewishAttorney

JewishAttorney

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Rabbi Shapiro, thanks!!! Great suggestion that I haven't thought of. Just out of curiosity for halachic discussion, which Poskim came up with this excellent Heter?

Ha thanks Mamash! Totally on point. Where are you from? Are you ever around Court Street in Brooklyn?

All things considered, I'm sticking to the yarmulke and keeping toupee in mind just in case :)

#5 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Heter? You mean eitzah. I wasn't matir anything.

#6 mamash

mamash

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

No, I'm not from Brooklyn. I'm from an area where yarmulkas are much less common, and yet I've still been able to walk around proudly (including in courtrooms and jails) with my head covered.

Keep up the good work counselor.

#7 JewishAttorney

JewishAttorney

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yes eitza - my mistake.