Shmiras Einayim

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie

Ellie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Is there any way I can hint to a guy that he needs to be more careful with his Shmiras Einayim?

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

You should not do it at all. Especially if you're the one he's looking at (which is what it sounds like because otherwise you would just tell him without hinting), don't do it because it will be counterproductive in many ways. Speak to a responsible adult who knows him (like maybe his Rav or Rebbi) and let him decide whether he should mention anything to him, and if so, how. In the meantime, if you are really interested in this boy's welfare, do not let him know that you know. Tell a responsible party as I mentioned above, and then your involvement in this issue is over.

#3 Menorah

Menorah

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Is a boy with a shmiras einayim problem similar to a girl with a tznius problem?

#4 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Is a boy with a shmiras einayim problem similar to a girl with a tznius problem?

No.

#5 shifpifer1

shifpifer1

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Menorah, shmiras einayim is also important for girls.

#6 Menorah

Menorah

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

No.

If it is possible to quantify, which is worse: a boy with a shmiras einayim issue or a girl with a tznius issue?

Menorah, shmiras einayim is also important for girls.

How so?

#7 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

If it is possible to quantify, which is worse: a boy with a shmiras einayim issue or a girl with a tznius issue?

We don't quantify such things.

How so?

Hirhurei Aveirah are prohibited for women too. Plus, it is a healthy thing not to become used to seeing Aveiros, especially this kind.

#8 Ellie

Ellie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

In the meantime, if you are really interested in this boy's welfare, do not let him know that you know. Tell a responsible party as I mentioned above, and then your involvement in this issue is over.

What if he already knows that I know?
Also, I shouldn't do anything if there isn't anyone I feel comfortable telling in such a position?

#9 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ignore it. It's his problem not yours. Your discussing it with him will just make it worse. The best way to discourage him is not to give him any attention.

#10 living2learn

living2learn

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

And to make sure that you're not dressing/acting/etc. in a way that's giving him something specific to look at...