• 1,423 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

http://www.baismedra...he-three-weeks/

#2 achasshoalti

achasshoalti

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

What is the mekor for: "A person should refrain on 17 Tamuz from all the things that are prohibited during the 9 Days." ...thnnks!

#3 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Pri Megadim 551.

#4 badjew

badjew

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

regarding music and the three weeks-is it muttar to use music for exercise, if one isn't getting hana'a from the music?
thank you

#5 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

regarding music and the three weeks-is it muttar to use music for exercise, if one isn't getting hana'a from the music?
thank you

Many years ago when I was a teenager I asked this question to Rav Tuvia Goldstein ZTL. He said you may.

But only do it in private, or with headphones. The other people in your room listening to the music aren't exercising.

#6 shifpifer1

shifpifer1

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Why can't it just be usser to listen to music while exercising if there is so much accapella music out there?

#7 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Because the fact that a capella is available doesn't make regular music prohibited.

You'd be right if the reason for the heter was that the ability to do your exercise outweighs the prohibition of listening to music. If that were the case, then if you could both do your exercise and also not listen to music, you'd be obligated to do so, since we don't "outweigh" things when we don't have to.

But the permit is not because the need to exercise outweighs the prohibition to listen to music. Rather, the prohibition to listen to music was only made to begin with if the purpose of the music is pleasure. But if the purpose of the music is for a practical, then there is no prohibition to begin with to listen.

That being the case, even if a capella is available, it would still be permitted to listen to regular music, since in the context you are listening to it there is no prohibition to do so.

#8 shifpifer1

shifpifer1

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

thank you Rabbi Shapiro!
another q: is one allowed to put nail polish/nail adhesive during the nine days? (note: not for a special occasion)

#9 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

thank you Rabbi Shapiro!
another q: is one allowed to put nail polish/nail adhesive during the nine days? (note: not for a special occasion)

Permitted.

#10 shaya

shaya

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

i guess a music group are allowed to practice during the 9 days?
also i didnt see if kids are allowed to be bath
and what about an adult who works in a job that makes him sweat a lot and dirty (construction) is there a heter to bath, or cold shower?
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning.

#11 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

i guess a music group are allowed to practice during the 9 days?

If it's really for Parnasa, as opposed to some groups that don't really get paid to play anywhere.

also i didnt see if kids are allowed to be bath

Only if they're under 2.

and what about an adult who works in a job that makes him sweat a lot and dirty (construction) is there a heter to bath, or cold shower?

Permitted.