Mechitsa Height

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JewishAttorney

JewishAttorney

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

I understand there is a machlokes between Rav Moshe ZTL and Satmar Rav ZTL as to whether the halachic point of mechitsa involves looking or interacting (at least not while prayer is involved, e.g. at a simcha) and whereas Rav Moshe held that looking is ok a long as there is a physical separation and the Satmar Rav held that looking itself is assur.

So, it is also my understanding that most if not all communities use high mechitsas where you can't look. What I am confused about is the reason for everyone doing so. Is it:

(A) Because other Gedolim decided that Rav Moshe's opinion in this case is not as halachically sound as that of the Satmar Rav and hence hold like Satmar Rav OR

(b.) It's a convenience issue where most people use high mechitsas at public simchas so as to not create a ridiculous situation where friends who hold like the SR cannot attend a wedding for example, but in private (if they were 100% sure only people from that circle are coming) they would use a shorter mechitsa per Rav Moshe?

Thanks.

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Well I can't speak for every rav that has a tall mechitzah, but in general It's "A" - plus (b.) the fact that even Rav Moshe agrees that in a case where the women aren't dressed properly you wouldn't be allowed to see them during davening, and (c.) it's better to fulfill כל הדעות regardless.