אומן אומן ראש השנה

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shaya

shaya

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

in the breslover seforim said over from reb nosson how they put a great deal on going to uman for rosh hashono, they say in the name of reb nachman that he said "my fire will light till moshiachs coming" (something like that) and he specifically said to come after he dies.

i have a feeling if there would not have been a CULT attachment to the going to uman less people would have looked at it in a negative light.

the fact is that big choshive breslover chasidim went through the years to uman for rosh hashono.

i know people on both sides, some who go for the fun of it and have very little with breslov during the year (other then wearing techelies etc.) but then i know of people who dont miss a minyan by the netz, and always follow the rules thats said over from reb nachman (not to drink etc.) and they go to uman 100% believing that they are doing their rebbes rotzon.

so the question is, if a person feels strongly and means it 100% lishmo is it a bad idea to go to uman for rosh hashono?
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning.

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

If you are a real Brelover Chosid, and by that I mean you follow the Derech of Yiras Shamayim and Chasidus of Rav Nachman, then as is customary for them, it is fine to go to Uman. As Steipler said when he was asked about Uman, "Everyone has his Derech." And needless to say, that includes going for the right reasons. And also needless to say, it includes being a Breslover Chosid for the right reasons as well.

However, that is only if Breslov is in fact your "Derech." Then, going to Uman is one component of that Derech. But just because Rav Nachman or Rav Nosson said something about going to Uman on Rosh Hashanah does not mean in the slightest that there is a reason you should go. As you mentioned, there were choshuve Breslover Chasidim that were accustomed to go to Uman. But the Gedoei and Tzadikei HaDor throughout the generations - Chasidim and Misnagdim; Ashkenazim and Sefardim; Mekubalim and philosophers - never had going to Uman on their agenda, nor did they advise others to put it on theirs. That should tell us that we have no reason to put it on ours.

The reason for this is, as I mentioned here(on 10/26/11 9:28 PM - and see also hereon 04/07/11 9:03 PM):

As a rule, when Chasidishe seforim provide guidance or practical instruction, it does not mean that everyone should follow it. Each Rebbe was talking specifically for his Talmidim according to the roots of their souls. That’s the way Chasidishe Seforim are written .... They describe the best approach for the Chasidim of that particular Rebbe. It does not mean that everyone must or even is allowed to follow it. Sometimes, intructions in Chasidishe Seforim, even those mentioned generically, if employed by people other than for whom they were meant, such as the idea of "elevating unholy thoughts," for example, can bring a person to do terrible Aveiros r"l.

Instructions by Rebbes whose reasoning we cannot tie to our traditional body of Shas, Poskim and ספה"ק, should not be adopted by people unless they know those instructions apply specifically to them. And if those instructions have been ignored by the Gedolei HaDoros, we should not think that we know better.

Shas and Poskim were meant to be adopted by all of Klall Yisroel. But when a Chasidishe Rebbe gave instructions, he was prescribing medicine. If you know a doctor recommended a certain medicine, you should not run to take it unless you know it is recommended for you.