• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JewishAttorney

JewishAttorney

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

So as I like to make up hypothetical examples, here we go again:

Ashkenazi man Asher, Hassidic man Hershel and Sefardic man Shimon are all friends. One day, Asher decides to invite Hershel and Shimon for Yom Tov. Let's say Sukkos, where having guests is an even greater mitsvah. The friends readily agree.

As they are all sitting at the table with their families, it suddenly dawns upon Asher that he had forgotten to purchase food according to his guests' customs. He frowns and apologizes to the guests. "Guys, everything I have here is simple OU, including the meat."

"What about Bet Yosef meat you said you'd get for me? You know I follow Shulhan Aruch strictly," says Shimon.

"What about the hassidishe hashgacha you promised for me? I have not touched regular OU stuff in years!" exclaimed Hershel.

"Is the hallah egg-free, by the way?" added Shimon? Aher shrugged...it was not.

"But friends, we'll think of something. At least I remembered to get only non-mevushal wine, L kovod yom tov," Asher said, smiling.

Suddenly, Hershel remembered reading Rabbi Shapiro's Orthoplaxy article and halachas associated with non-mevushal wines even with Jews that he showed to Shimon before. Asher, by all accounts, was a G-d fearing Jew, albeit no chacham. Now having noticed his neglect toward their requests, their mood was not getting better and on top of everything else, they eyed the wine with suspicion.

Question:

With the exception of a possibility of walking over to someone's house to get replacement items, what, if anything, can Asher do to facilitate a normal festive and joyous yom tov meal with lehem bosor and yain for everyone's enjoyment?

In other words, which, if any, kashrus preferences of the guests trump over the mitsvah of enjoying a yom tov seuda and being someone's guest?

What should the guests do if nothing can be done? Sing songs and have an otherwise vegetarian seuda?

Thanks.

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

It depends on why the person will not eat a particular item. If he holds it's not kosher, then he has to treat it like non-kosher.

If it's just nerves, then you don't have to go out of your way for it. If the reason is somewhere in between, then so is the answer.

So first the person needs to know why refuses to eat what he refuses to eat. Then he can determine how strict he should be.

#3 JewishAttorney

JewishAttorney

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Rabbi Shapiro! I know my examples are sometimes way over-exaggerated and I appreciate your attentive responses.