Triangle K

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soulrebel

Soulrebel

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have been trying to figure out what the issue with Triangle K is. I personally don't eat it because that's what everyone else here does, but I'm curious.

From my research around the internet (meaning, unreliable research), the problems appear to be that: 1) they have a lower standard for grape beverages like grapejuice and wine and alcohol in general 2) they don't hold that meat needs to be glatt kosher.

Is this the whole, correct story?

#2 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

You should speak to a rabbi off line about this. People can get sued for saying Kashrus organizations are not reliable. This is why you will find that all the "Kashrus alerts" never say a certain hechsher is not reliable but rather "not recommended," which of course does not mean it's not reliable - technically. I'm not a lawyer so I never discuss reliability of Kashrus organizations online.

#3 Menorah

Menorah

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Legally, there would be no restrictions to publicly discussing your opinion about the reliability of a Kashrus organization, just as there are no restrictions about voicing opinions online about any business, regarding if you feel they are good or bad. (And there are hundreds of websites designed for exactly such discussions.) Especially considering, in this case, you are voicing a religious opinion, which 1) has further legal guarantees and 2) courts cannot judge whether an expressed religious opinion is valid or not.

#4 Rabbi Shapiro

Rabbi Shapiro

• Administrators
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Kashrus organizations will never say in a publication that any Hashgacha is not reliable or not kosher. They will merely say "not recommended." The later is an opinion; the former are statements of fact and as such, actionable. I am not a lawyer and I cannot tell you if this is legally correct, but it is "industry standard."